1. Home
  2. Care home feedback

Care home feedback

What to do if you have a complaint

Please contact the Care Home Manager in the first instance as they are best placed to deal with your issue quickly and efficiently. The Care Home Manager will review your concerns and provide ongoing updates until the matter is resolved.

If the Care Home Manager is unavailable, please talk to a member of the care home team who will be available to assist you.

If you are unable to resolve your concerns with the Care Home Manager or you are unhappy with the outcome, please contact a member of our Clinical Services Improvement team via our feedback form at the link below.

Send complaint regarding a care home >

What to do if you need support in raising your complaint or understanding the process

Firstly, please contact the Care Home Manager who will provide support such as language services. If you need further support in raising your complaint or with understanding the process, there are advocacy services available to assist you.

The Health and Disability Advocacy Service is a free service that operates independently from all health and disability service providers and agencies. The Advocacy Service offers support to anyone receiving residential care services from Bupa. An advocate can help you identify what the issues are that need to be addressed, and what resolution looks like. They then provide support to help you bring your concerns to us.

You can also contact our Bupa Consumer Engagement Advisor. Our Consumer Engagement Advisor can guide you through our complaints management process and work with you to ensure that your concerns are heard and addressed.

Contact the Health and Disability Advocacy Service >

Contact our Consumer Engagement Advisor >

For serious "whistleblower" type complaints that you don’t feel comfortable sending to the Manager

Bupa has a “whistleblower” service that residents and their loved ones can use when they have a serious concern relating to the care or the service we provide (for example, allegations of mistreatment, neglect, fraud etc), which they don’t feel comfortable raising with the Manager. This service is called “Speak Up” and can be accessed anonymously or by providing your details.

Please use the link below or call 000-911, and at the prompt, dial 855-831-3143 to access Speak Up. All Speak Up complaints are received by an independent company, Navex, before being referred to the appropriate person at Bupa for investigation and appropriate action. Please note that in order to address the complaint, it is likely we will need to involve the Manager of the care home in some way, but if you have lodged your complaint anonymously, the Manager will not have access to your details.

Send a complaint to Speak Up >

If you would like your complaint to go to the District Health Board, the Health and Disability Commissioner or Ministry of Health

If we’ve been unable to resolve your complaint and you would like to lodge your complaint externally, you can contact your local health of older persons DHB Portfolio Manager. They can assist you with the management of your complaint.

Send a complaint to your local DHB Portfolio Manager >

If you feel that you have concerns that haven’t been addressed you can contact HealthCERT or the Disability Support Services at the Ministry of Health.

Send a complaint to the Ministry of Health >

Alternatively, you can lodge your complaint with the Health and Disability Commissioner (HDC). The HDC considers complaints about health and disability services, including rest homes and other aged care services.

Send a complaint to Health and Disability Commissioner >